So many times life seems to happen in themes for me. Situations pop up in certain seasons of my life, and they carry the same theme. If I happen to pick up on it early on.....I know there's a lesson coming.
One night I was reading my communities Facebook page. It's a place where people can share what's going on in the community, ask questions, or vent about experiences they've had. Unfortunately arguments crop up from time to time. On this particular night the discussion was whether or not to give panhandlers money. This topic seems to strike a nerve in many people. The original post was about how this particular person did not think people should give money to someone standing at the side of the road with a sign asking for help. This started a huge debate about what that person with the sign was 'intending' to do with the money and if they even needed it in the first place.
The debate went on for quite some time, as the speculations went on. Someone even posted with an edge meant for sarcasm, "What would Jesus do?". After feeling overwhelmed and frankly disappointed by the hostility I had read...I decided to head over to Pinterest for some non confrontational computer time. Posting pictures of puppies and beach scenes got my mind off things for the moment....but I still carried uncertainty in the back of my mind.
I never add to the Community Facebook site....just observe. What I observed that night, left me thinking about the last sarcastic statement I had read..."What would Jesus do?" The guy who posted it was looking for a laugh. What he didn't realize was, that his post was probably one of the most thought provoking questions there.
I think the post bothered me because on other fronts of my life I was struggling with a similar debate in my head. It wasn't about panhandlers. I don't think the Facebook page posts were necessarily about Panhandlers as much as they were about 'intention'. People's intentions. The people we support, help, reach out to. It was about how what we give is received. In the same way the post on panhandlers was struggling with what the intentions of people asking for help and support were...I was also struggling with the intentions of people I observed in my life. I made a similar post about this called 'A beautiful bouquet' in the past because I think it's something that we all struggle with at times. Especially if we're Christians.
We give. We love. We support. We put ourselves out there and at times it isn't well received or appreciated. Sometimes we are made to feel stupid for ever putting ourselves out there and investing in someone. Whether that person just doesn't seem to appreciate the help.....or hurts us in return. It leaves us asking.....Should I have trusted? And....should I continue to trust, give and love and support.....even when I don't know the persons 'intentions'? I really struggle with that at times. I mentioned that God sometimes puts scripture on our hearts when we are struggling with something.
The scripture he put on my heart loud and clear was....
Matthew 13, 13:18
The Parable of the Sower
13 That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. 2 Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. 3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: “A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”
18 “Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20 The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21 But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 22 The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. 23 But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.”
No. Never.
Whether our (seeds)...our help, love or support, take root and grow is not for us to worry about. Jesus doesn't say the farmer had horrible aim and should have simply concentrated on the good soil. It's the worldly things that get in the way of the receivers..... the thorns, the birds, the scorching sun. Temptations.
Regardless of all those things we must continue to throw our seeds everywhere.....because some will surely grow and bloom!
I needed that scripture so much. It's moments like these that remind me why it's so important to read the Bible and become familiar with scripture. Because it helps us navigate through times that are hard to discern. It's a compass and a guide.
-Patti



No comments:
Post a Comment