My husband found a box the other day that contained 'Love Letters' I had given him through the years. It consisted of cards, notes, little blurts of 'I love you' on a sticky note...I most likely left for him in the morning before work.
I smiled at the fact that he had kept them...and laughed as I read some of my letters. My silly sense of humor at age 22. Who am I kidding....I'm still silly at 41! Each letter brought back sweet memories of a time when the world seemed to be just he and I.
As I was reading through the notes and we were reminiscing about the past....he pulled out an envelope and immediately smiled..."I remember this one!" he said.
As he handed it to me I remembered too..and a flood of those memories engulfed my mind!
The letter took me back to 1996. Rob and I had been married for two year. In that time we had bought a house, adopted a puppy and were simply enjoying life and all the possibilities in front of us. We both worked full time and enjoyed our evenings making dinner together and taking our new pup for a walk.
I was at work one day when I mentioned to a friend that I was 'late'......and I don't mean late for dinner. I had a very strong suspicion that I might be pregnant! I decided at lunch to go to the pharmacy and purchase a test to find out!
I had never used one of these things before. I was excited and anxious as I ran to the bathroom to find out! I was at work...so this meant I was in public bathroom...in a hospital. I really didn't care, as I ripped the package open in my tiny stall. No one was in the bathroom at the time.
Although I had never used one of these things, everyone knew what had to be done.
I then took the stick and held it in my hand as it shook nervously. Wait! am I supposed to see two lines or one? I was suddenly unsure of what I was looking for!
I grabbed the directions that I had dismissed just moments before and frantically tried to read them...But..I COULDN'T READ THEM!! They were in Spanish!!!
How in the world would I know???? Why didn't I take Spanish in High school!!!? What a waste those four years of French were. As I quietly yelled at myself in the tiny bathroom stall, I finally had the sense to turn the paper over. When I did I saw a whole new set of directions......these were in English!!!!!! Thank God!! I thought, as I quickly scanned the paper to find out what two lines meant......
'Carefully remove the....yeah yeah..blah blah blah.......'wait 60 seconds to.'..alright already..I did that......'Two lines mean you are pregnant'................
I read that line multiple times. Two lines meant.....I WAS PREGNANT!!!!!!! I had two lines!!!!
A million feelings overwhelmed me all at once!!!
Happiness, Surprise.........
And a little fear! I wanted to be pregnant!!! I just didn't know how to be pregnant!!! lol....Little did I know that my body had that part covered!!! So.....I pulled myself together and slowly came out of the bathroom stall and headed back to my department for work. I was in a daze!
As the day went on I went from feeling shock....to complete and total excitement and happiness!!! Next was....how was I going to tell Rob? I don't know about you...but I like to do things in a cute, fun way when there is good news to share!! Maybe I could buy booties and put them in his sock drawer! No..I couldnt wait till the next day for him to find them! Maybe a baby bottle at the dinner table setting! No......Hmmmmm
I went to the store and I knew what I would do. He was used to me giving him cute cards for no reason at all and leaving them on the table for him at dinner. I found an adorable card with a baby bear on it. This was perfect.....
This is the actual card. Cute right??? And this is what I wrote inside.......
Ok...at the time I thought I was a poetic genius!! I'm not sure how that grasped me as being the most creative I could do...(and I can hear my fifth grade teacher saying "It's 'you and I'..not 'me and you')...lol ....but it did bring the response I wanted!!!
You would have thought my husband couldn't read. He read it once..squinted....read it again..smiled, looked at me...read it AGAIN.....and said "OH MY GOD!"
He then picked me up and spun me around the kitchen!!! The puppy had no idea what was going on!!!!
As Rob and I recalled this story our now 13 year old and 10 year old played and laughed in the family room. "Thank you for keeping this!" I said.
"I cherish your love letters!" he said!
After writing this blog it made me realize that I should still be writing those love letters! As life filled with children and busyness I kind of forgot to keep those going! I think it's time to head out to Hallmark and see what they have....naaa....I have a sticky pad right next to me!!!
After all...I want to break that box open in another 20 years and have something for us to read! =)
Did you tell your honey you love him today?
(This post is linked with Emily from Chatting at the sky and her Tuesdays unwrapped feature and Steady mom with her 30 min blog challenge.)
If you would like to tell your story....please link your site below and share.






6 comments:
Oh I love it! Miss you lots!
That's so lovely. You put a smile on my face this morning.
This is so great. I love reading posts about husbands and wives that really know what it means to communicate with each other.
My husband has always been right there with me when we found out... so we just looked at each other with joy (or shock, depending on which number of child it was!) and shared the moment alone.
Thank you for sharing your precious memory, and for helping me to remember mine... now I'm off to leave a love note under his pillow! :)
i love love stories. and I am blessed with many of my own. you can read some on my blog. but today i just want you to know that our last few days as a family have been hard and not so romantic. sometimes, parenting can zap the sweet thoughts of each other. thanks for the reminder. i am running out after work and getting the Man a card.
i, too, want to have new ones to look back on when a few more years have past us by.
so nice to meet you!
Oh that is so sweet! I just got teary eyed! How wonderful he kept it. You know, I used to write many more love notes for my husband and I found them in a photo album recently. I think I am going to start slipping him some special cards again.
Post a Comment