Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Seeds

I had a revelation the other day.  I was in a situation that made me think about my faith and what I really 'expect' from it.  What do we expect from our faith anyway?  Well...I had an opportunity to share my faith, which is something I'm really not always comfortable doing (outside of the context of Church).  It's easy to talk to other Church goers about God.  It's pretty safe to say that they are there because they believe and have faith in him too!

So, anyway...getting back to my revelation.  I stepped out of my comfort zone and reached out to someone who I really thought needed to know that she could count on God.  My simple message was that although she was going through a time where she felt there was no one she could depend on....she really could depend on God.

Now, we all have expectations when we set forth to do something.  If you can honestly tell me that you don't, well, I'm not totally sure you're being honest!  This get's back to my question...what do we 'expect' from our faith.  When we reach out to another person with the desire to give them hope, do we expect something?  I don't mean that we are looking for a gift of some kind, but are we looking for validation...clarification...confirmation???  When we plant that seed and step back are we hoping to see a garden in that instant?

 “Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds came and devoured them. 5 Some fell on stony places, where they did not have much earth; they immediately sprang up because they had no depth of earth. 6 But when the sun was up they were scorched, and because they had no root they withered away. 7 And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up and choked them. 8 But others fell on good ground and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9 He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”-Matthew 13:1-23





After I reached out and shared my faith I didn't see a garden!  My outreach actually produced anger and frustration for this person.  She didn't have time for God.  She needed to get things done herself!  Praying was not a practical, tangible solution to her strife.  I thought maybe I'd see a bud?  A small glimmer of hope that said.."Well...I'll try to pray more" or "It really means allot that YOUR praying for me".  I was expecting....anticipating.  

My revelation was that when we plant seeds in a garden we don't see the fruits of our labor right away!  We may not even see them in that season!  Seeds take time to grow.  They need time to be nourished and become acclimated in the soil.

So does our faith.  When we share it and plant a seed, we may still be looking at the dug up soil.  All we may see is a pile of dirt.  We walk away wondering if our garden will even grow.  Will it produce any fruits from our labor?  All I can do is say a prayer that my outreach...my seed of hope will make a difference.  All we can do is sow our seeds.  They will sometimes fall on rocks, be devoured by birds or burnt by the sun....but some WILL fall on good ground and grow.  

It's not for us to know.....it is just for us to sow.



1 comment:

Audrey @ DefrumpMe said...

Such a good reminder, Patti! There have been many times I have reached out to someone but never saw the fruit. It's so good to remember that we must obey God's leading no matter if we see that result we wanted. God is the gardener and He is the One in control, not us. :) Thanks for this encouragement.

And thanks for stopping by our blog and commenting on my post about creativity. I'm your newest followe!