Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

My Sweet Sage

My sweet Sage

Sage is a pure bred, AKC listed Labrador retriever.  To us she's our Sage.  I'm a rescue dog kind of person, so when the opportunity came one day to 'purchase' a little Labrador puppy...I paused.  Well...not for that long anyway.  I used to help out at our local Veterinary Hospital.  One of the clients brought in her sweet pregnant black Lab to have a check up.  She told me to come visit the pups on the farm once they were born.  If you're a dog lover you know 'just visit' any puppy  usually amounts to you coming home with a warm little bundle of fur!

I did go to 'visit' her.  They lived on a big beautiful farm in Pennsylvania.  It was the beginning of fall so the leaves were a flaming orange and the air was crisp.   My friend led me to the barn where the newly born Labrador puppies were staying.  When I saw them it looked like I pile of yellow and black fur all smooshed together!  When I sat down in the hay next to them,  the smoosh of fur began to disperse...and one little black smoosh walked right on over to me!

They say we don't pick our animals....they pick us.  She crawled right in my lap to continue her slumber.  "I'll take this one" I said, as I looked up to see the smile on my friends face.  She explained I would have to wait just a little while longer for them to wean from their mother before our little girl could come home.  That was fine...because I needed a little time to explain the situation to my husband.  I brought him back to the farm just 'to visit'......(although by this time my husband knew this little trick).  Between the falling leaves, the beautiful barn and a warm little puppy in his lap, he knew he was doomed.  He gave me 'the look' to say 'ok'.  Its kind of a look of surrender and a look that says...'How does she get me into these things?'.

And so...that is my story of Sage.

Patti

*I still prefer to rescue...but if you do purchase from a breeder make sure they are reputable.  You can ask to check the mother and fathers medical records for such things as Hip Dysplasia in dogs which is hereditary.  


*Please stop by This Life of Ours...a blog I found today..and enjoyed so much! Trish has some great ideas for all of us!!! =)

3 comments:

Carol E Wyer said...

Hello Patti! I’ve hopped from Java’s blog hop taken a wrong turning at 'For the Love of Blogs' and have landed on your lovely blog where I fell in love with Sage. I adore labradors anyway and your story was delightful. Hubby won't let me go to a rescue centre as he knows I'll come home with all the dogs so I just have to take pleasure from others'. If ever we are out walking and I see one I just have to pat it. :) Anyway we dog sit a far bit so I get my fix that way. I am now your newest follower.
Please drop by and maybe follow me if you fancy a laugh. I'd be delighted to welcome you.
Warm wishes
Carol from www.facing50withhumour.blogspot.com – the blog that gives you laughter lines. (Has that put you off?)

Alida Sharp said...

what a beautiful dog!!


joy & blessings,
Alida

Patty said...

Hi Patti!

Thanks for a lovely story!

Looking at Sage, I can see our late Tonka's eyes; he was an obstinate Rotty/Lab mix that left us a little over one year ago and that I recently wrote about on my blog...Another cookie, please!

Rescuers are kindred spirits. My middle daughter is constantly busy, networking, pulling dogs and cats from shelter death rows, fostering them until she finds loving homes.

Sadly, we cannot save them all but we can keep the quest going to educate people as to responsible animal ownership. And yes, Breeders have a place (not in my heart) but, for those who are reputable, purchase from them if one must. Just never forget how many wonderful pets languish in shelter cages everywhere, longing for a forever home!

Love your blog and have added it to my favs! Hope to read more about Sage!

Patty