Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Practical decorating

Sometimes you walk into someones home and become inspired.  Tara's house is such an inspiration!  She really has an eye for decorating and making a house a home.  Check out her blog and you'll understand what I mean.  Well, one of her ideas jumped out at me.  Not only is it a great look......it's very practical!  This is what inspired me.....see the shelves holding the pretty white plates and mugs.  I loved this look the second I saw it!

                                                                           Tara's kitchen
(See more on Tara's blog between you & me)


Well...me and my sweet husband went out and had some wood cut,  bought wooden brackets, paint and sand paper.  


I sanded down the wood to take away the sharp edges and make it look gently aged.  Then came the paint....then more sanding...

Then it was time to enlist the help of my husband.......


It's not that I couldn't hang them myself...but Rob knows me very well.  He knows that I won't use a level....or a tape measure....I do everything by 'eye' ...and that stresses him out.  Especially when he knows the shelves will be holding heavy plates.  


He really likes using his level......


So..anyway...I guess it's time for the big reveal....This is the space before....


A corner of my dining room just screaming for something.  When I saw the shelves in Tara's house...I knew exactly what this corner needed!!




So happy with the way this project turned out.  It was easy...just took some time, patience...and apparently a level.  
Thank you Tara for your inspiration!










2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this look! (Love all the white plates too!)

I hang stuff "by eye" as well, and my boyfriend frequently takes over with the level. There's something to having someone hang the shelves for you, that's the hard part. :)

Have a great weekend!

Between You and Me said...

I LOVE your shelves!!!!